By Jill Fox
The family of Chris Hixon is looking forward to sharing the special moment when their home was transformed through the generosity of others with the world.
Chris Hixon, the athletic director who sacrificed his life saving students during the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, was a 27-year Navy veteran. He was a retired Machinist Mate First Class who served in the Persian Gulf during Operation Desert Storm and Desert Shield in 2007, as well as in the Reserves.
On February 14, 2018, Chris sped towards the gunfire in a golf cart and was gunned down while trying to stop the shooter — and despite his wounds, he stood guard until police arrived.
Chris’ wife of 28 years, Debbi, who lives in Hollywood with their son, Corey, 24, (the couple had another son, Tom, 27 in California) is about to be featured on a Military Makeover show with talk show host, military advocate, and veteran, Montel Williams.
Premiering on February 14 at 7:30 a.m. on Lifetime, Military Makeover with Montel provides designers, contractors, landscapers and other home improvement professionals the opportunity to transform the homes and lives of military families. The television series enlisted the help of both national and local companies with donations of goods and services for the 10-day project.
Over the next ten Fridays, the episodes will cover the various phases of the renovation process, from demolition to construction to home decor — and even wellness. They will also showcase the many South Florida organizations and volunteers that helped support the Hixon family during the experience, which took place last December.
A teacher for over 30 years, Debbi is the magnet coordinator at South Broward High School’s Marine Science Maritime Program and is running for Broward County School Board Countywide At-large Seat 9 in the August 2020 race.
After the Parkland tragedy, the family chose to do something positive to remember Chris while making a difference in the community. They started a scholarship fund and created the Chris Hixon Memorial 5k taking place on February 15, as a fun and positive way to raise funds for the scholarships as well as honor his memory.
On February 20, Debbi is planning a housewarming party and fundraiser at her newly remodeled home. Until then, she said she can’t wait to watch the premiere of Military Makeover with visiting relatives at her family’s beautiful home.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She is currently a Senior Account Director at Lon Haber & Co. Fox worked at NBC Miami for eight years after graduating from the University of Miami. She lives in Parkland with her husband, Brian and two children.
- Events2020.02.17New York-Style Deli Featuring Mouth-Watering Bagels Opening in Parkland
- Schools2020.02.13Somerset Parkland Academy Holds Informational Sessions For Interested Families
- News2020.02.12Parkland Crime Update: Latest Incidents Through February 10
- Events2020.02.11Sculpture Dedicated To 3,320 Eagles To Be Unveiled at Chabad of Parkland