By Jill Fox
For Parkland residents searching for a way to help the community, and volunteer some time or expertise, look no further. The City of Parkland is currently accepting applications for an open position on the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board.
The Advisory Board consists of nine citizens who provide assistance to the city commission — seven members and two alternates.
“Residents volunteering to serve on our Parks and Recreation Advisory Board advise the commission on our city sports policy as well as other matters dealing with our parks and our recreational programming,” said Mayor Christine Hunschofsky.
This includes providing recommendations as to the size and locations of public parks in the City, as well as the facilities and programs to be provided there.
Commissioner Rich Walker, who is involved with Parkland sports, said, “Anyone with a desire to serve the community can apply for the board, but I believe someone with an affinity for our parks and sports programs can have a more positive impact.”
The application specifies that members of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board should interact with the users of facilities to assure progress, development, maintenance, and planning for the needs of the community.
Meetings are held on the first Monday of every month at 6 p.m. at City Hall. Interested candidates should apply here.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She is currently a Senior Account Director at Lon Haber & Co. Fox worked at NBC Miami for eight years after graduating from the University of Miami. She lives in Parkland with her husband, Brian and two children.
- Events2020.02.17New York-Style Deli Featuring Mouth-Watering Bagels Opening in Parkland
- Schools2020.02.13Somerset Parkland Academy Holds Informational Sessions For Interested Families
- News2020.02.12Parkland Crime Update: Latest Incidents Through February 10
- Events2020.02.11Sculpture Dedicated To 3,320 Eagles To Be Unveiled at Chabad of Parkland