By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball has become the powerhouse team in the county for the last three years.
The Eagles have won the last three State and National Championships and are officially beginning practices for the 2024 season. MSD was ranked as the third-best in the country by Perfect Game heading into the season. IMG Academy ranks first, followed by Corona High School (California).
“I’m glad we aren’t one, head coach Todd Fitz-Gerald said. “Let them knock themselves off. We will just grind as we always do. Our kids believe in themselves. We don’t focus on that stuff. We focus on the now, and the now is today.”
While the Eagles had nearly a dozen players from last year’s team go on to play college baseball, they return a star-studded roster featuring several college baseball commits. MSD will again take on one of the toughest schedules in the country and will open on February 20 against Westminster Academy.
The Eagles also had a pair of former players move up in the latest prospect ranking. Roman Anthony, a 2022 graduate from MSD, currently ranks 24 and is playing in the Boston Red Sox Organization. Anthony was selected in the second round and 79th overall by the Boston Red Sox. He has made his way up to Double-A, and in his minor league career, Anthony had 14 home runs and 76 RBIs and is batting .277. Anthony was also the Red Sox Minor League Player of the Year and is projected to debut in 2025.
Coby Mayo of the Baltimore Orioles was named the 30th-best prospect. He was a 2020 graduate from MSD and was selected in the fourth round of the 2020 MLB Draft. During his minor league career, Mayo has hit 57 home runs and driven in 209 runs. He debuted in Triple-A last year and was also the Eastern League MVP. Mayo is projected to make his debut during this upcoming season.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 25, 20242 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestlers Advance to State Championship
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Seals No-Hitter Win in Home-Opener
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Begins Season With Win Under New Coach
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Marks Historic Day with 6 Athletes Signing College Commitments