By: Matt Rothman
Former Marjory Stoneman Douglas third basemen Coby Mayo was officially named Eastern League MVP following his season in Double-A with the Bowie Bay Sox.
Mayo was a 2020 graduate from MSD and was drafted in the fourth round by the Baltimore Orioles. After hitting 13 home runs and scoring 61 in high school, Mayo has worked his way up through the Baltimore Orioles farm system and debuted with the Bay Sox this year before eventually being called to Triple-A Ball with the Norfolk Tide.
During his time in Double-A, Mayo hit .307 with 17 home runs and 44 RBIs. He also led the league in extra-base hits, slugging percentage, and total bases. Mayo ended up playing 62 more games this year in Norfolk and added 12 home runs with 55 RBIs. Through three years in the minor leagues, the 27th ranked prospect in all of baseball has hit 57 home runs, driven in 209 RBIs, and has a chance to make it to the big leagues in 2024 for a Baltimore Orioles that won the AL East and is headed to the postseason while the Norfolk Tide won the International Title.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Face Coral Glades; Girls Basketball Begins Season
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win