By Jill Fox
The City of Parkland has planned an entire day of remembrance to honor the 17 victims and the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Community.
February 14 will be observed as a Day of Service and Love with a Community Commemoration at the Parkland Recreation and Enrichment Center (P-REC) from 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Support services will be available beginning at 1:00 p.m. The day will include a service project at the Parkland Recreation and Enrichment Center. There will be therapy dogs on-site, art, and music therapists available, an art display that embodies the resilience and a brief commemoration ceremony honoring the victims.
Moment of Silence
A moment of silence will be observed precisely at 2:21 p.m. to remember the 17 victims of February 14, 2018.
The City of Parkland has partnered with Food For The Poor in a special community food packing event, which will run in two sessions (1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.).
The Big Picture: Resilience
The Big Picture: Resilience is a public art installation that will be on display, beginning at 5 p.m. at Pine Trails Park from February 14 through May. Artist Carl Juste and collaborators developed this multi-faceted photo-documentary project for the Power of Art as part of the Bloomberg Philanthropies’ Public Art Challenge.
Immediately before the commemoration ceremony, a brief video will play on the Amphitheatre stage, highlighting resilience.
A brief commemoration ceremony conducted by spiritual leaders to honor the 17 victims and the MSD community will take place at the Amphitheatre at 5 p.m.
The Parkland Recreation and Enrichment Center (P-REC) is located in Pine Trails Park at 10559 Trails End in Parkland. For additional information, contact the Parks and Recreation Department at (954) 757-4105.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 6.
- News2020.07.14If COVID-19 Numbers Don’t Improve, Superintendent Runcie Recommends Online Learning
- News2020.07.14Parkland Pokers 8U Baseball Team Looking for New Recruits
- News2020.07.14Meet the State Senate District 29 Democratic Candidates During Online Forum
- News2020.07.11Parkland Mayor Hunschofsky Endorses Bob Mayersohn for City Commission