By Jill Fox
The City of Parkland has planned an entire day of remembrance to honor the 17 victims and the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Community.
February 14 will be observed as a Day of Service and Love with a Community Commemoration at the Parkland Recreation and Enrichment Center (P-REC) from 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Support services will be available beginning at 1:00 p.m. The day will include a service project at the Parkland Recreation and Enrichment Center. There will be therapy dogs on-site, art, and music therapists available, an art display that embodies the resilience and a brief commemoration ceremony honoring the victims.
Moment of Silence
A moment of silence will be observed precisely at 2:21 p.m. to remember the 17 victims of February 14, 2018.
The City of Parkland has partnered with Food For The Poor in a special community food packing event, which will run in two sessions (1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.).
The Big Picture: Resilience
The Big Picture: Resilience is a public art installation that will be on display, beginning at 5 p.m. at Pine Trails Park from February 14 through May. Artist Carl Juste and collaborators developed this multi-faceted photo-documentary project for the Power of Art as part of the Bloomberg Philanthropies’ Public Art Challenge.
Immediately before the commemoration ceremony, a brief video will play on the Amphitheatre stage, highlighting resilience.
A brief commemoration ceremony conducted by spiritual leaders to honor the 17 victims and the MSD community will take place at the Amphitheatre at 5 p.m.
The Parkland Recreation and Enrichment Center (P-REC) is located in Pine Trails Park at 10559 Trails End in Parkland. For additional information, contact the Parks and Recreation Department at (954) 757-4105.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 11 and Randi, 7.
- Events2021.02.26Preparations Underway For Annual ‘Egg My House’ Event Honoring Gina Montalto
- News2021.02.26This Weekend: Parkland Dads Join Their Children On Stage in ‘Matilda’
- News2021.02.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Senior Providing Tourniquets For Middle School Classrooms
- News2021.02.24Parkland Soccer U13 Division Taken By Storm