By Jill Fox
These are challenging times for everyone, but some families in the community need a little more help this year.
The annual Harvest Drive collection efforts typically occur at school, however, due to COVID, some schools have not participated. This year, the Parkland Community Advisory Board, along with several local schools, have collaborated to collect and distribute food to those in need.
“It is so important for the community to donate this year in particular because there is an increased need in Broward County, and yet fewer organizations are hosting food drives due to the pandemic,” said Jordana Goldstein, who has been collecting donations in MiraLago.
Non-perishable items include: boxed cereal, pancake mix, syrup, crackers, cookies, canned corn, canned green beans, a bag of rice, a box of mashed potatoes, canned sweet potatoes, canned cranberry sauce, a box of stuffing, six-pack of apple sauce, box of mac & cheese, can of soup, peanut butter, and jelly (no glass jars).
All of the items benefit local South Florida families who have been identified by Broward County School social workers.
“We collected at least four large boxes, and the donations keep coming,” said Goldstein said. “Our community will never let children go hungry. So proud.”
Donations can be made at one of these locations.
The P-REC at Pine Trails Park through November 17
The Tennis Center at Quigley Park on Parkside Drive through November 13
The November 15 Farmers’ Market
Westglades Middle School (if you have a student) through November 13
For convenience, the Harvest Drive is also accepting monetary donations at harvestdriveflorida.com/donate/.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 11 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.03.02Feeling Lucky? Register For Pap Corps Bingo on March 17
- News2021.03.02MEDNAX Awards Four $20,000 Scholarships to Marjory Stoneman Douglas Seniors
- News2021.02.28Parkland’s Eats ‘n Beats is Back with Live Music and Food Trucks
- News2021.02.27Don’t Miss Out: Registration Opens March 1 for Parkland Summer Camps