By Sharon Aron Baron
A Parkland man was sentenced to 24 months in prison for wire fraud on Wednesday by United States District Judge Henry E. Autrey.
David Michael Kramer 42, who managed risk for Enterprise Holdings Inc. admitted to at least 694 false and fraudulent check requests resulting in an actual loss of $1,457,247.82 to the company.
He was facing 20 years in prison.
Kramer, who was hired as a management trainee in 2002, rose to Enterprise’s risk manager for all of South Florida. This gave him the ability to authorize payments when cars needed towing or cleaning, court papers said.
Beginning in 2009, Kramer began requesting checks for fictitious and fraudulent expenses. To support his check requests, Kreamer would create false and fraudulent requests for payment from various entities including the sheriff’s offices, the Florida Department of Transportation, and judicial courts, among others.
Once Kramer received the check, he would deposit the money into his personal bank accounts. Kramer then used the fraudulently obtained funds for personal purchases and expenses, including luxury vacations, expensive watches and jewelry, and designer clothing.
Kramer submitted about one to six fraudulent invoices every month, according to court papers. And they became more numerous as 2020 progressed. Kramer was fired from his job in June 2020. And in July, he filed to recover his $250,000 retirement account with the company. In October, he was arrested.
Enterprise, however, is suing to keep the money in the account.
“The (retirement) plan account represents the only funds known to EHI (Enterprise Holdings Inc.) that would be accessible to it to recover even a small portion of the total amount embezzled by Defendant over the course of at least ten years,” court papers say.
Kramer also will have to give back the watches and the jewelry, court papers say.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Educator Named Finalist for Career and Technical Education Teacher
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024Lead the Fight at the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024Congregation Kol Tikvah in Parkland Announces a Weekend of Spiritual Upliftment with Danny Maseng
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Florida Prepaid College Cuts Prices After Low Tuition Increases