By Jill Fox
In keeping with Parkland’s slogan of being environmentally proud, the city commission established a program to recognize environmentally-friendly businesses.
The Environmental Partner program was approved by the commission in December, and after a lengthy discussion at the last city commission meeting, there was consensus to continue with the program as well as for staff to do more outreach to businesses in the community.
“I am fully supportive of being environmentally proud,” said Hunschofsky. “We need to lead the way and inspire residents to do the same.”
The businesses impacted by this program would be Parkland-based restaurants and stores which sell food and drink products.
Vice Mayor Ken Cutler said he would be in favor of Parkland getting ahead of the curve and trying to set forth an example of an environmentally proud community.
“We can’t call ourselves environmentally proud if we don’t begin the process of doing something about it,” he said.
According to Hunschofsky, several businesses already switched to paper straws including Bluefin Sushi. Two other restaurants: Blue Agave and La Rural Argentine Steakhouse, said they would also be interested.
Parkland businesses taking steps to reduce waste, recycle, or any other initiatives that are considered environmentally-friendly, should click here to submit an application to city hall. Those that qualify will be recognized at a city commission meeting and will be given their Environmental Partner sticker to display on the business door.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She is currently a Senior Account Director at Lon Haber & Co., a leading full-service public relations firm. Fox worked at NBC Miami for eight years after graduating from the University of Miami. She lives in Parkland with her husband, Brian and two children.
- Events2019.08.22Place Your Bets at Parkland’s Casino Night for School Safety
- News2019.08.20Scenic Backdrop to Encourage Healing Installed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas
- Crime & Safety2019.08.19Parkland Crime Update Through August 12
- News2019.08.18Parkland Resident Awarded Scholarship From Women of AT&T