By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida held their annual Thin Mint Sprint event across three separate locations where approximately 600 runners raced and helped raise over $50,000 along with the support of sponsors.
The Broward County Thin Mint Spring 5K took place on April 6, at Tradewinds Park in Coconut Creek and the top three runners overall were all females. The top finisher was Kayla Sanseverino, 17, of Parkland, who is an Ambassador Girl Scout. She finished the race at an impressive 20 minutes and 52.4 seconds.
Second place finisher was Helen McKenzie of Ft. Lauderdale who finished the race in 20 minutes and 54.9 seconds, and third place finisher was Marla Dundak with a finishing time of 21 minutes and 7.7 seconds.
Following the 5K was the Tagalong Trot 100-yard dash, where kids 8 and under also got to show off their speed!
Funds raised will be used to support the organization’s mission to build girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place.
Awards were given in 17 categories and all participants in the 5K race received a box of Thin Mints and a finisher medal to wear with pride after crossing the finish line. Race results here.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsNovember 28, 2023Parkland’s Farmers’ Market Includes Craft Fair on Sunday
- NewsNovember 26, 2023Holiday Bingo Event Support’s Baseball’s Team’s 2024 Trip to Cooperstown
- NewsNovember 22, 2023SOS Children’s Villages Florida’s ‘The White Ball’ Gala Raises Record $750K for Foster Care Children
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Heron Heights PTO Hosts Annual Holiday Boutique