By: Matt Rothman
Parkland’s own and Navy star lacrosse player Ava Yovino was officially named a preseason All-American prior to her sophomore season.
Yovino played 15 games last year and managed to score 42 goals while providing 50 assists. She had a hat-trick in her college debut against Duke and is determined to improve her performance this year. Yovino appreciates preseason recognition but believes that it is more of a reflection on past achievements rather than a measure of future potential.
“I still have a lot to prove and a lot of work to put in with my teammates to accomplish our goals this year,” Yovino said.
Yovino began playing lacrosse in second grade with the Parkland Red Hawks. From there, she competed for Madskillz, Crush, Xtreme, and Team 12 before joining Florida Select 2022, which landed her an opportunity to play at the next level. Yovino also played high school lacrosse for St. Thomas Aquinas and was an All-American three times and an Academic All-American twice. She was also named to the Preseason
Yovino decided to attend the Navy when choosing where to play during college because she believed she would be surrounded by people who shared similar aspirations. Although she knew that it wouldn’t be an easy path, she felt it was the most rewarding in the end.
“The friends, mentors, and lessons I have made and learned here just simply can not be found at another institution,” Yovino said. “While my experience here is not the same as other female collegiate lacrosse players, it is unique in its own way and there is no other program like the one here at Navy.”
Yovino has three years left but is undecided on what she plans to do after commissioning in the Navy. She is currently majoring in Political Science and will begin her sophomore season on February 9 against Duke.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 25, 20242 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestlers Advance to State Championship
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Seals No-Hitter Win in Home-Opener
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Begins Season With Win Under New Coach
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Marks Historic Day with 6 Athletes Signing College Commitments