By: Sharon Aron Baron
Students have an opportunity to sit on the dais and bang the gavel as Parkland’s next “Mayor for a Month.”
Open to any Parkland resident in grades 6-12 regardless of enrollment in a public, private or charter school, the lucky winner will shadow Parkland Mayor Christine Hunschofsky at commission meetings and other presentations.
“My idea for the student mayor program was to give more students the opportunity to learn about local government and the city of Parkland,” said Hunschofsky.
The student mayor program’s goal is to provide young people with confidence, support, and recognition that will hopefully open the door for additional opportunities to become involved in their community as well as to develop into future leaders.
The student who is selected will be sworn in at a commission meeting and will be invited to participate with the mayor in events during that month.
To apply, have the student submit an application along with a 250-word essay explaining why they would like to be involved in municipal government.
The application should include their community involvement, academic achievements, and a letter of reference.
Applications are due by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 13, 2020.
Mail or hand-deliver completed applications to:
City of Parkland
Attention: Mayor for a Month
6600 University Drive
Parkland, FL 33067
Disclaimer: there may be more than one “Mayor of the Month” and the city wants parents to know they will not sit on the dais during official city business.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.01.23Marjory Stoneman Douglas Climate Sustainability Club Holds Fundraiser
- News2021.01.213 Men Arrested for Loitering, Prowling, This Week in Parkland Crime
- News2021.01.21State COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment Scheduling System Now Up in Broward County
- News2021.01.21Polsky and Grieco Refile Legislation to Ban Conversion Therapy on Minors