By: Matt Rothman
In a testament to their baseball prowess and the athletic legacy of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, former stars Anthony Rizzo of the New York Yankees and Jesus Luzardo of the Miami Marlins have been announced as finalists for the prestigious 2023 Gold Glove Awards.
Both players, who have emerged as defensive standouts in their respective positions, are now on the cusp of adding another accolade to their illustrious careers.
Rizzo, who played his third season with the New York Yankees, shined defensively at first base, making only four errors and having a fielding percentage of .995. He also led the league with a +6 Outs Above Average in 2023. He was named a finalist along with Nathaniel Lowe of the Texas Rangers and Ryan Mountcastle from the Baltimore Orioles.
However, Rizzo only played in 92 games after missing nearly half the season with a concussion. The 2007 graduate from MSD is a four-time Gold Glove Award Winner and finished the season with a .244 batting average, with 12 home runs and 41 RBIs.
Luzardo wrapped up his best season in the big leagues by being named a Gold Glove Finalist as a pitcher. He was a 2016 graduate from MSD and made only three errors this season while setting a career-high in wins, innings pitched, and strikeouts, and also making his postseason debut with the Miami Marlins this year. He will compete against a pair of Philadelphia Phillies, Zach Wheeler and Taijuan Walker, for the award.
The 2023 Rawlings Gold Glove Award finalists will be announced on ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight” on Sunday, Nov. 5, at 7:30 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Face Coral Glades; Girls Basketball Begins Season
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win