By: Sharon Aron Baron
On Friday, the official video for the song Shine was released on YouTube. Shine was written by Sawyer Garrity and Andrea Pena after the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School as a way to channel their pain and anger after the tragedy.
According to the official site for Shine, what started out as a personal healing journey, quickly grew into an anthem and was met with an overwhelming response, especially after their performance at the CNN town hall in February.
Immediately following the broadcast, MSD Drama parents began receiving phone calls from people in the entertainment industry offering help to promote the song. They decided that proceeds generated by the song or other works of art generated by MSD Drama students should be directed towards the benefit of the victims of the tragedy and created Shine MSD where funds raised go directly towards the Broward Education Foundation.
To donate, go to ShineMSD.org
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- Events2020.09.29Clear Space by Safety Disposing Hazardous Waste October 3
- Events2020.09.28Parkland Debates Hosted by the HOA Presidents Council Held Oct 5 & 6
- Crime & Safety2020.09.26Parkland Crime Update Through September 21
- Events2020.09.25Celebrating 50 Years of Fire Service with Drive-in Movie Event