By: Jill Fox
The journalism students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School are now sharing their stories with the world.
In the book We Say #NeverAgain, essays written by student reporters of the school’s newspaper and TV station offer a look into the Parkland shooting and their fight for gun control.
The book was co-edited by broadcasting teacher Eric Garner and journalism teacher Melissa Falkowski who said, “It was a way for the students to be published in a different light, a way for them to reflect on what happened and identify how journalism helped them cope.”
She said she was approached by a literary agent with a number of projects, but this one really showcased the entire journalism program at Douglas in a positive way. The book was a joint effort between the newspaper staff and the TV production staff.
One of the pieces that Falkowski wrote was an essay about the importance of scholastic journalism. The book is not only an inside look into the tragic events on February 14, a key component of the project was a strong focus on journalism and the way it contributes to education. The essays focus on lessons and skills the students have learned. Contributions include essays by Parkland students David Hogg, Delaney Tarr and Ryan Deitsch.
A long-time Coral Springs resident and graduate from J.P. Taravella, Falkowski has worked in the journalism department at MSD for 13 years. This marks her fourth year overseeing the school newspaper, The Eagle Eye.
Proceeds from book sales will fund the journalism program at Marjory Stoneman Douglas. Purchase the book on Amazon.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She is currently a Senior Account Director at Lon Haber & Co., a leading full-service public relations firm. Fox worked at NBC Miami for eight years after graduating from the University of Miami. She lives in Parkland with her husband, Brian and two children.
- Events2019.06.20Marjory Stoneman Douglas Class of 1994 Celebrates 25 Years at Upcoming Reunion
- News2019.06.19Parkland City Commissioner Instrumental in Lowering Water Bills
- News2019.06.15Incoming Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagles Get Ready to Fly
- Events2019.06.15Register Now for the 2019 Parkland Dash