By: Sharon Aron Baron
Parkland Talk, took home first place for Independent Website at the Florida Press Club’s 2019 Excellence in Journalism competition on November 2.
The event, which recognizes journalists from all over Florida, was held at the Waterstone Resort in Boca Raton featuring author John Grogan, international bestselling author of “Marley & Me” and “The Longest Trip Home.”
After selling eight million copies translated into more than 30 languages worldwide, in 2008, “Marley & Me” was made into a movie starring Owner Wilson and Jennifer Aniston. A native of Detroit, Grogan spent 25 years as a journalist for daily newspapers, covering county government for the Sun-Sentinel, where he later became a columnist.
Frances DeVore founded the Florida Women’s Press Club in 1950, as a way to fight inequities that kept women from career advancement in the news industry. The name was later changed to the Florida Press Club and is now led by former Sun-Sentinel writer, Anne Geggis. The organization counts hundreds of Florida journalists among its ranks at newspapers across the state.
Covering news and politics in northwest Broward County, Talk Media was chosen based on timely and relevant news of the day as well as articles that were good examples of feature reporting in independent online news.
This year’s winner of the Frances DeVore Public Service award went to the Sun-Sentinel for their coverage of Parkland. First Runner-Up was Julie K. Brown, Emilly Michot, for their “Perversion of Justice” coverage for the Miami Herald. Second Runner-Up was awarded to Suzane Hirt, Frank Fernandez, Dinah Voyles Pulver for “The Truth about Shootings” coverage for the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
To join the Florida Press Club, go to FPC.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2020.04.02Parkland Experiences Increase of COVID-19 Cases on April 2 City by City Report
- News2020.04.02Cruise Ships Given Permission to Dock at Port Everglades Thursday Afternoon
- News2020.04.01Parkland COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise in Florida Department of Health April 1 Report
- News2020.04.01Marjory Stoneman Douglas Teachers Share Inspiring Messages for Students in New Video