By: Matt Rothman
The awards continue to roll in for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team.
Head Coach Todd Fitz-Gerald was awarded National Coach of the Year for the fourth time in his career, while Assistant Coach Elliot Bonner received the Assistant Coach of the Year. He has been working at MSD since 1997.
“Bonner is a long-time coach who is well deserving of this award, and I couldn’t be happier for him and this great night,” said Fitz-Gerald. “He was my little league coach, and to see him finally recognized for his years of service is outstanding.”
The Eagles are coming off their second straight State Championship. This was also the Eagles’ third title since 2016, while Fitz-Gerald won a championship in 2008 with American Heritage.
This past season though, the Eagles went 30-2. They started it off by winning the National High School Baseball Invitational, featuring the top 16 teams in the country. They then went on to win another District and Regional Championship before beating Haggerty 4-1 in the State Semifinals and then Palm Beach Gardens High School 10-0 in the final.
The 2022 senior class also had ten players go on to sign and play college baseball, including Roman Anthony, who was selected in the second round of the MLB Draft. The Eagles also have seven players from this year’s team already signed, including three players set to play in the SEC.
The Eagles recently finished an unbeaten fall season and are looking to become the first public school in Broward County to win three straight State Championships. They are set to kick off their season in the Big-8 Tournament early next year as the top seed and will play Coral Springs Charter in the opening round. That game will feature another former assistant and graduate from MSD, Max Boling, making his coaching debut with the Panthers.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.02.07Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Advances to Regional Semifinals
- News2023.02.07Parkland Pokers’ Evan Stramanak Wins Perfect Game ‘Player of the Year’
- News2023.02.06Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Team Wins 1st Playoff Game
- News2023.02.04Marjory Stoneman Douglas Cheerleading Team Finishes 3rd in State Championship