By: Matt Rothman
For the third time in school history, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team won the Regional Championship and is headed to Fort Myers for States this weekend.
In the Eagles’ previous two trips, they went on to win the State Championship in 2016 and 2021. After winning a District Title this season, the Eagles defeated West Broward, J.P. Taravella, and Christopher Columbus High School in Regionals.
“These guys have been through it,” said Coach Fitz-Gerald. “They won 57 ball games in two years. They know what it is all about. They have seen the best of the best, and now it’s up to them to finish the deal.”
Christian Rodriguez made the start and earned the win despite giving up four runs. Chris Arroyo pitched the final two innings to earn the save. Offensively, Santiago Ordonez drove in the first run before Alex Rodriguez stole home to make it 2-0. Despite giving up four answered tuns, the Eagles came back in the bottom of the fifth. Christian and Cameron Harris recorded RBI singles before Jake Clemente hit a three-run home run to put MSD up 7-4.
“When I hit it, it was amazing,” said Clemente. “I had chills throughout my whole body. “My first two at-bats, I didn’t really help my team out when I should have. I knew it was my moment.”
The Eagles were also helped out defensively on a double play started by Harris and an incredible throw from Roman Anthony to nail a runner at the plate. He also had two hits and reached base three times in the win.
“We have played quite a few games like this, said Anthony. “When the other team takes the lead, there is nothing but confidence in these guys. We do such a great job of passing it to the next guy.”
MSD also picked up their 28th win, which matches their total from 2021. The Eagles play in States Semifinals on Friday, May 20 against Hagerty High School at 4 p.m. The Huskies are 17-11 this year and won the Distirct and Regional Championship. This will be the first meeting this year between these two teams.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.07.01Pitcher Christian Rodriguez Selected to League Event for Top 100 Players
- News2022.06.262 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Players Selected to Futures All-Star Game
- News2022.06.266 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Players Receive Conference Awards
- News2022.06.20Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagles Receive 4 Major Baseball Awards