By Sharon Aron Baron
An accident on the Northbound Sawgrass Expressway left several people injured on Sunday, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
At approximately 1:08 p.m., a 2017 Hyundai SUV, driven by a 39-year-old female, was traveling north on the expressway when she lost control of the vehicle and collided with the guardrail.
According to FHP, the SUV then overcorrected and entered the inside and center lanes, colliding with a 2015 Nissan SUV. The front right of the Hyundai collided with the front of the Nissan. Both vehicles came to a final rest on the center and outside lanes of SR869.
The driver of the Hyundai and all four occupants, two 14-year-old females, a 13-year-old female, and a 13-year-old female, were injured in the crash. One of the 14-year-old females and the 13-year-old female are in critical but stable condition. The driver of the Hyundai suffered non-life-threatening injuries, according to FHP.
The 42-year-old female driver of the Nissan, as well as the four occupants, a 44-year-old male, a 7-year-old female, a 12-year-old female, and a 10-year-old male, were also injured in the crash. All occupants of the Nissan sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
The cause of the crash is under investigation. The northbound lanes of the Sawgrass Expressway were closed for several hours following the accident, causing significant delays for drivers.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2023.02.02Parkland Man Arrested for Allegedly Abusing and Neglecting Infant, Causing Serious Injuries
- News2023.01.31Parkland Farmers’ Market Includes a Pet Expo With over 100 Vendors
- News2023.01.28Mah Jongg Tournament Raises Awareness For Women’s Heart Health
- News2023.01.26Parkland Holds Commemoration Ceremony for Marjory Stoneman Douglas Community on Feb. 14