By Jill Fox
Over 750 participants attended the virtual Run 4 Beigel fundraiser to honor beloved high school teacher and coach Scott Beigel raising $47,000 at the event.
After Scott Beigel was killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas on February 14, 2018, his cross country team started Run 4 Beigel. The event, entirely student-run until this year, became an official 5k in 2019.
The Scott J. Beigel Memorial Fund’s mission is to send underprivileged children affected by gun violence to summer camp, bringing them positive memories while keeping them out of harm’s way when they are not in school.
“As a result of this year’s Run 4 Beigel, many more children than ever before will be able to have this life-changing experience,” said Race Director Douglas Eaton.
In his first year as race director, Eaton, who met Beigel’s mother, Linda Beigel Schulman, after his work on the MSD Heroes challenge, felt the event was successful on both personal and financial metrics.
“We have raised close to $50,000, well over twice what was raised last year, with participants from 30 states and four countries, with 100 percent of every dollar raised is going to the organization,” he said.
On February 6, some of those close to the cause came together to run the 5k, with The Schulman’s in attendance.
“Afterward, we held a small ceremony, which was a wonderful expression of love and a collective virtual embrace for the community, and the dearest of friends, Linda and Michael,” said Eaton.
Schulman said Eaton put 150 percent of himself into making the virtual Run 4 Beigel, Parkland, an incredible success.
“It’s really neat,” she said. “When you have something virtual, everyone can do it in their own way.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.08.04City Selects Lt. Craig Calavetta As New BSO Parkland District Chief
- News2021.08.04Parkland Residents Host First Local Wine And Food Festival
- News2021.08.04Parkland Mah Jongg Players Meet For 2 Summer Gatherings
- News2021.08.03Parkland Principals, Interim Superintendent Address Parents on August 9