By Jill Fox
A Parkland resident was among the 17 recipients of nursing scholarships awarded by The Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation.
Julia Merfogel, a freshman at Florida State University, received a $1,000 scholarship from the non-profit organization, which helps students with the cost of post-secondary education. The foundation also makes charitable donations to causes Gina supported before her life was taken on February 14, 2018.
Merfogel, 18, of Heron Bay, graduated from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in 2020 and was inspired to pursue nursing after her father survived cancer.
“I wanted to give back in the same way the nurses cared for my father when he was sick,” she said.
In response to Covid-19, the foundation awarded additional scholarships. To commemorate Gina’s 17th birthday, they set a goal to raise $17,000 to fund 17 scholarships for nursing students across the country.
“We wanted to help bolster the ranks of those frontline healthcare workers who have tirelessly served and helped heal thousands of Americans during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Gina’s father, Tony.
Other scholarship recipients were Amber Allen, Eniola Ashade, Savannah Belcuore, Allyson Boli, Emraude Bonnet, Jennifer Cruz-Flores, Macy Gallowdy, Bridgette Gardea, Hannah Golik, Sheila O’Connor, Grace O’Rourke, Margaux Palmentiero, Cynthia Peeler, Sophia Rothenberg, Gitel Schuck, and Samantha Trahan.
Gina’s mother, Jennifer, said throughout the application and interview process, it was apparent that these recipients were qualified, passionate, and kind.
“They all exemplified Gina’s passion for learning, caring, and helping others.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.06.18Parkland Commission Postpones Discussion of New Craft Brewery
- News2021.06.16Parkland BSO Captain Chris Mulligan Announces His Retirement
- News2021.06.16Parkland Teens: Volunteer and Earn Service Hours This Summer
- News2021.06.13Mah Jongg Players Meet For 2 Summer Gatherings At Family Bagels