By: Sharon Aron Baron
Girls from all over South Florida explored the world of mental health and learned how to make healthy choices at Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida’s #BeMindful program at the Broward College North Campus.
Presented by Baptist Health South Florida, #BeMindful is a program where girls could get in touch with their minds and bodies during hands-on learning sessions held by healthcare professionals. From Zumba and Yoga to Neuroscience and Biology, Girl Scouts of all ages learned how and why our emotions, feelings, and relationships affect their everyday lives.
Heather Hileman, vice president of mission delivery at the Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida, said 185 Girl Scouts and 95 adult volunteers had the opportunity to engage with experts through hands-on activities to build self-esteem and raise mental health awareness.
“The girls also learned about the mind and body connection through getting active with yoga and Zumba, and adults participated in a psychologist-led Q&A session about how to help their girls navigate today’s world.”
In a time where distractions are all around us, this program has given girls the tools to take a step back and get in touch with themselves and others around them. Some of the badge-earning activities included balancing meal plans, learning parts of the brain, and exploring the effects that our different emotions can have on ourselves and others.
The Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida include troops in Parkland and Coral Springs.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- Events2019.12.01Japanese Wrestling Legends Head to South Florida For ‘Seasons Beatings’
- News2019.11.29Professional Hockey Player Selling Parkland Home
- Events2019.11.29Parkland Celebrates ‘Small Business Saturday’ with Special Deals
- News2019.11.24Chicago Cubs’ Anthony Rizzo Raises Funds at Parkland Walk-Off for Pediatric Cancer