By Jill Fox
This summer, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School freshmen can learn to spread their wings a little early.
A unique two-day freshmen orientation will be held at MSD, where students will engage in a variety of educational activities while learning about the Parkland high school.
The “Fly Like an Eagle” program is designed to give incoming ninth graders a jumpstart on a successful high school career. Staff will focus on time management, organization, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills, as well as effective study habits.
Students will get a chance to learn who’s who and how to find their way around the new school. In addition to becoming acquainted with MSD traditions and policies, the program will explain community service requirements, various clubs, and organizations to join and what sports are offered.
Two sessions are offered from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. The first one will be held on July 29 and 30, and the second one will be held on July 31 and August 1.
Register online at browardschools.com/stonemandouglas or in person on the first day of the session; however, only cash will be accepted at that time. The $51 registration fee includes an MSD t-shirt.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.01.14Parkland Resident Donates $20,000 To Chabad Playground Honoring Alyssa Alhadeff
- News2021.01.12Student-Led Organization ‘People of Change’ Promotes Racial Equality
- News2021.01.12Congregation Kol Tikvah Holds Virtual Comedy Night with Amazing Vacation Auctions Jan 30
- News2021.01.11State Rep Christine Hunschofsky Launches High School Internship Program