By: Matt Rothman
It wasn’t easy, but the Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team earned their first win of the season following their 7-6 win over Calvary Christian Academy.
The Eagles led 7-3 heading into the final inning and were able to hang on, as Colby Collins registered the final three outs despite allowing a three-run home run.
Christian Rodriguez was given the start and pitch 3.2 innings and allowed three runs and struck out four to earn the win. Fernando Rodriguez came out of the bullpen to throw 2.1 hitless innings before Collins got the final three outs.
“Glad to see the guys respond last night, after a subpar below-average performance on opening night,” said Head Coach Todd Fitz-Gerald. “We came to play and did so at a high-level last night in a great team win.”
The game was scoreless heading into the second inning before Rolando Lujo hit a two-run double to give MSD a 2-0 lead. Later in the inning, Coby Mayo, who is signed to play at the University of Florida next season, brought Lujo home with a single.
Calvary Christian scored their first run on a home run in the third, but MSD responded with a run in the bottom half on an RBI single from Colin Flynn.
However, Calvary Christian continued to chip away at the lead, although the Eagles scored a run in the fifth courtesy of Christian Arroyo and two in the sixth without a hit.
Despite the late run from Calvery Christian, MSD hung on for the 7-6 win for their first win after winning 20 games last season along with a District Championship for the seventh straight year.
Up next, the Eagles will host J.P. Taravella on Thursday, February 27, at 6:30 p.m. in Parkland before heading on the road for three-straight. JPT won their first two games of the season, outscoring their opponents 20-2.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.10.26Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Cross Country Wins District Championship
- News2021.10.26Barraza Leads Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Golf to District Championship
- News2021.10.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Golf Finishes 2nd in Districts; Advances to Regionals
- News2021.10.23Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Earns Massive Win on the Road