By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas Cheerleading Team advanced to States following their win in Regionals on Friday night.
The Eagles competed in the Small-Tumbling Division and won, but missed advancing straight to the finals by one point after scoring a 69.
While Head Coach Patti Thompson wishes they could go directly to the State finals, she is proud of the way her team competed on Friday night.
“Advancing to states was our goal, and we are extremely pleased we were able to accomplish it this season,” said Thompson.
She previously coached in Parkland for 14 years, and her team made States every season before she retired the first time. In 2016, it was the only year they did not advance, but Thompson came back two years ago, and they have advanced every year since.
MSD will compete for both the State Semifinals and Finals on Friday, January 31, at the University of Florida.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsMarch 1, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins Another BCAA Championship
- NewsFebruary 29, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Season Ends in State Semifinals
- NewsFebruary 28, 20245 Parkland Travel Soccer Teams Win Championship
- NewsFebruary 25, 20242 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestlers Advance to State Championship