By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas Cheerleading Team advanced to States following their win in Regionals on Friday night.
The Eagles competed in the Small-Tumbling Division and won, but missed advancing straight to the finals by one point after scoring a 69.
While Head Coach Patti Thompson wishes they could go directly to the State finals, she is proud of the way her team competed on Friday night.
“Advancing to states was our goal, and we are extremely pleased we were able to accomplish it this season,” said Thompson.
She previously coached in Parkland for 14 years, and her team made States every season before she retired the first time. In 2016, it was the only year they did not advance, but Thompson came back two years ago, and they have advanced every year since.
MSD will compete for both the State Semifinals and Finals on Friday, January 31, at the University of Florida.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.09.18MSD Mid-Season Boys and Girls Bowling Recaps
- News2021.09.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas and Coral Glades Compete in Swim Meet With Cypress Bay
- News2021.09.16Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wide Receiver Hervin Louis Selected to All-Star Game
- News2021.09.11Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Leads Before Game was Suspended