By: Sharon Aron Baron
As part of the United States Conference of Mayors 88th winter meeting in Washington, Parkland Mayor Christine Hunschofsky attended President Trump’s signing of the Securing American Nonprofit Organizations Against Terrorism Act.
On January 24, Trump spoke to a gathering of mayors in the East Room of the White House, then signed the bipartisan H.R. 2476, resolution sponsored by Rep. Bernie Thompson D-MS.
Hunschofsky said it was an honor to be invited to join mayors from across the country and the entire political spectrum when the Securing American Nonprofit Organizations Against Terrorism Act of 2019 was signed into law.
“This Act passed both houses of Congress with true bipartisan support and will provide $375 million in grant funding to houses of worship of all denominations and other nonprofit organizations for hardening, security training, and other activities including cybersecurity resilience,” she said.
Through the establishment of a Nonprofit Security Grant Program, eligible nonprofit organizations can apply for grants to improve security measures and protect against possible terrorist attacks through the state where they are located.
The bipartisan Act was co-sponsored by the following Florida House Representatives: Ted Deutch, Lois Frankel, Alcee Hastings, and Brian Mast.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.09.16911 Dispatcher Recognized After Saving Life of Parkland Woman
- News2021.09.15Selection Committee Chooses Developer for Former Heron Bay Golf Course
- News2021.09.14Broward County Schools Participates in ‘Dads Take Your Child to School Day’
- News2021.09.11Marjory Stoneman Douglas JROTC Hold 20th Commemoration Ceremony for 9/11