By: Matt Rothman
Former Marjory Stoneman Douglas football star Khalil Herbert officially saw his name called in the NFL draft by the Chicago Bears.
Herbert, who currently lives in Coral Springs, played two seasons with the Eagles from 2013-2014. In his first year, he saw occasional playing time along with running back Davian Daley. Herbert then followed that up by running for nearly 1,000 yards, scoring 15 rushing touchdowns, and adding another 264 yards through the air.
In his senior season, Herbert transferred to American Heritage School and then played for four years at the University of Kansas before heading to Virginia Tech as a graduate student. Herbert became the first running back from Virginia Tech to rush for over 1,000 yards since 2015.
After waiting out the first two days, Herbert was drafted in the sixth round by the Bears. He will join a running back group that features David Montgomery, Tariq Cohen, and Damian Williams.
While MSD’s current head Coach Quentin Short was an assistant when Herbert had his breakout season in Parkland, he believes this is a great opportunity for him and his players to see former players go professional.
“It’s great to see his dreams come true,” said Coach Short. “He is an unbelievable young man, and we are so proud of him. He always had a great work ethic, and he was special with the ball in his hands.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsMarch 1, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins Another BCAA Championship
- NewsFebruary 29, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Season Ends in State Semifinals
- NewsFebruary 28, 20245 Parkland Travel Soccer Teams Win Championship
- NewsFebruary 25, 20242 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestlers Advance to State Championship