By: Matt Rothman
For the second straight season and 22nd time in school history, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas girl’s soccer team won the District Championship following their 4-0 win at Coral Glades High School.
It took only 18 minutes for MSD to take a 1-0 lead. Junior Francesca Lozano scored an impressive goal assisted by Raquel Alvarado.
Molly Conn then scored in the final minute of the first half to give the Eagles a 2-0 lead, before Alvarado scored twice in less than 10 minutes in the second half with one coming from a corner kick assisted by Chloe Rogers.
While Krystina Masihy was held without a goal for one of the rare times this season, she assisted on the third goal of the game and continues to be one of the best players in the region.
“I thought we came out with a lot of energy,” said Head Coach Laura Rountree. “We worked extremely hard and scored some really nice goals. It was a great team effort tonight, and I was super happy with the game and the result.”
The Eagles are now 10-4-2, which marks the third straight season that MSD has won ten or more games. They have now picked up a win in seven of their last eight games, with the one being a draw to Cooper City High School. In those games, they have outscored their opponents 32-2, with 11 of those coming in the two games against Coral Glades.
While MSD knows they will be playing a regional game on Tuesday, February 11, at 7 p.m., they do not know if they will be playing in Parkland or on the road, and may not find out until Sunday night.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.09.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas and Coral Glades Compete in Swim Meet With Cypress Bay
- News2021.09.16Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wide Receiver Hervin Louis Selected to All-Star Game
- News2021.09.11Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Leads Before Game was Suspended
- News2021.09.09Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Cross Country Win 1st BCAA Meet