By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas softball continued its terrific season with an appearance in the Orange Bowl Showcase at Palmetto Bay Park.
The Eagles went 3-1 in the four games with wins over Palmer Trinity, Westminister, and South Fork High School, outscoring them 36-8. Their only loss came against East Ridge High School, as MSD holds a record of 7-4 this year.
“The Orange Bowl tournament is always full of quality teams, and going 3-1 is a good showing for us,” said Head Coach Brian Staubly. “We hit the ball well in the three games we won.”
Victoria Diaz shined for MSD both at the plate and on the mound. She led the team with eight RBIs, picked up two wins, pitched eight innings, allowed three earned runs, and struck out four. Kayleigh Cuccia, Myah Boleen, Kylah Davis, and Arianna Reynolds all drove in four runs, while Isabella Silva had three and Amanda Dang had two. Olivia Alvarez and Antonio Nelke also drove in runs.
Addison Zajkowski picked up the team’s other win with five scoreless innings in relief against Westminister Academy. MSD will have a week off and return to the field on March 28 against Hallandale High School before facing Fort Lauderdale High School on March 29.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 23, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shows Resilience Despite Setback: Gears Up for the Anticipated Pig Bowl Showdown
- NewsSeptember 22, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Swim Records Wins Over Monarch and Northeast
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Volleyball Moves to 10-1 With Senior Night Win
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Soccer Star Gianna Rizzo of Marjory Stoneman Douglas Announces College Pick