By Jill Fox
As the April artist of the month at the Parkland Library, Sandra Canning is doing things a little differently.
Along with her fine art photography exhibit, Canning created a treasure hunt, complete with prizes, that takes residents in and around Parkland celebrating the beauty in everyday places.
Canning, who likes to encourage others to explore their own creativity, wanted to get people excited about her exhibit, as well as their own artistic pursuit.
Born in Trinidad, Canning grew up in St. Thomas but has lived all over the world. She moved to South Florida to spend more time with family and has resided in Coconut Creek for 10 years.
In addition to her role as an artist, she is also a full-time realtor.
Her feature, “The Sunshine State in Black & White,” is a photographic body of work that explores Florida using ethereal monochromatic seascapes and architectural images from everyday places.
As Canning typically photographs seascapes, landscapes, and architecture, most of her images are captured in Florida.
The local scavenger hunt consists of 12 pictures taken in Parkland and surrounding areas less than 15 minutes away, and the name of each picture offers a hint to where it was taken.
“We forget we have this tool at our fingertips — the best camera right in our pockets,” she said.
First prize, is any one of the prints featured in her library exhibit valued at $500, will go to the first person who correctly identifies the location of all 12 images by April 29. Second and third place will receive gift cards.
“I look at it as my way of giving back to the community,” said Canning. “I want to have my work make a difference in people’s lives.”
The City of Parkland Library is located at 6620 N University Drive.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.07.30Meet Local School Resource Officers at ‘Parkland Night Out’ Event
- News2021.07.29Register For Inspiring Professional Women’s Alliance Luncheon Featuring State Rep. Hunschofsky
- News2021.07.28Parkland Little League Holds Free Pitch, Hit and Run Competition
- News2021.07.28Parkland Awarded $1.5 Million Grant For Future 36-Acre Park