By: Sharon Aron Baron
Car break-ins have been reported at two Parkland area parks this week and Captain Chris Mulligan reminds residents they are crimes of opportunity.
The first incident occurred September 25 at Liberty Park at 9200 Ranch Road sometime between 12:30 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, a suspect entered an unlocked car and stole items belonging to two victims including a Louis Vuitton purse, two wallets and $100 in cash for a total of $3,050.
On September 26, another incident occurred next door at Barkland Dog Park at 9245 Ranch Road the passenger window of a 2016 Honda Accord was smashed between 2:00 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. The victim reported her wallet, which had been placed under the passenger seat, was gone. The wallet contained $25 in cash, credit cards, drivers license and a concealed firearms permit. The victim’s handgun was still in her backseat pocket.
Captain Mulligan said they are working on some strong leads on this case.
He wants to remind residents that when they leave their vehicle, be conscious of not leaving anything of value, or lock it in the trunk and if they don’t have a trunk, take it with them.
“Don’t leave items in your car where it’s visible,” he said. “Be conscious where your vehicle is and who is around. It’s common sense.”
He adds to always check your car doors and make sure they are not unlocked, and if you see something, say something.
If you do have information on any crime, contact Sgt. Greg Molamphy at 954-753-5050 or download the app SaferWatch which empowers phone users to report an incident as they see it happening.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2022.01.20Next Parkland Farmers’ Market Features Public Safety and 90 Vendors
- News2022.01.19Sheriff Tony Attends Parkland’s MLK Day Celebration
- News2022.01.17New Site for Monoclonal Antibody Treatments Opening at Markham Park
- News2022.01.16Winner Chosen for 4 Free Tickets to ‘World’s Largest Bounce House’ in Boca Raton