By Saraana Jamraj
A Riverglades Elementary teacher working with the new realities of distance learning was surprised by her students with a parade.
Karen Casey-Robinson, of Coral Springs, has been teaching kindergarten for 45 years and has no plans to retire.
She began her career at James S. Hunt Elementary, then continued at Country Hills Elementary in Coral Springs, until 2011 when she moved to Riverglades Elementary in Parkland and has been ever since.
Her daughter, Kaitlyn Dennis, said when her mother realized she wouldn’t be seeing her class for the rest of the year due to the pandemic, she was distraught. Her class decided to put together a parade to surprise her and bring her some smiles.
On May 1, Students and their parents dropped off signs after the parade. Some students told her, “Thank you, Mrs. KCR,” while others told her how much they miss and love her.
Casey-Robinson was all smiles, as she wiped tears away and waved to her students.
“It was an unforgettable moment. I have never seen my mom so happy when it comes to her job,” said Dennis.
While she awaits the start of the next school year, Casey-Robinson has also created a Facebook group for teachers, where they share activities to do at home, and nightly readings to stay connected to her class.
“She loves what she does, and it’s so obvious,” said Dennis.
Got News? Send a message to Parkland Talk.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. She’s completed her Master’s in Mass Communications in 2020 and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- News2020.07.07‘Change The Ref’ Organizes Parkland Protest in Support of Black Lives
- News2020.07.01Deadline Approaching for Voter Registration and Vote-By-Mail Ballots
- News2020.05.3021-Year-Old Parkland Resident Announces Bid for City Commission
- News2020.05.26Mitch Ceasar Qualifies to Run for Broward Supervisor of Elections