By Jill Fox
After two consecutive wins on Saturday, the Parkland Little League All-Stars 11U team is headed for the State Championship tournament.
“This is unprecedented for an all-star 11U team in Parkland,” said President Scott Gordon. “They have already done something that has never been done before.”
The boys, all Parkland residents, include Chase Gorham, RJ Travinski, Chase Clary, Jason Andree, Jovanni Defalco, Jason Gordon, Ryder Andersen, Eric Tollefsen, Alberto Suarez, Franco Kwan-Acosta, Nick Salerno, Rex Barbaro, and Andres Del Campo.
In their first game on Saturday, pitched by Scott’s son, Jason, they beat Plantation 9-3. Then, in an 8-5 victory at Terramar Park, the team clinched the sectional title in their second game pitched by Franco Kwan-Acosta. Section 8 includes teams from Miami-Dade, Broward, and the Florida Keys.
“It’s a great group of kids,” said Scott. “They really showed up on the field and outplayed the other teams.”
This is the first year for the all-star team, made up of incoming sixth-grade boys, who practiced every day for four weeks under head coach Derek Andersen, Guido Defalco, and Matt Clary.
Scott said they would most likely have the weekend off and be back out on the field every day until state. “They are a really dedicated group and work hard. They are proud to represent Parkland.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.07.30Meet Local School Resource Officers at ‘Parkland Night Out’ Event
- News2021.07.29Register For Inspiring Professional Women’s Alliance Luncheon Featuring State Rep. Hunschofsky
- News2021.07.28Parkland Little League Holds Free Pitch, Hit and Run Competition
- News2021.07.28Parkland Awarded $1.5 Million Grant For Future 36-Acre Park