By: Jill Fox
Grab a crown and scepter and head over to city hall because for one month, students can win a chance to rule over Parkland.
One lucky student will have the opportunity to reign alongside Mayor Christine Hunschofsky and spend some quality time with constituents during the “Mayor for a Month” contest.
Students residing in Parkland in 6th through 12th grade can apply by simply by completing this phrase: “If I were Mayor of Parkland…”
“My idea for the student mayor program was to give more students the opportunity to learn about local government and the city of Parkland,” said Hunschofsky, who added that she is really looking forward to meeting the new student mayor.
Not only will the winner be snapping selfies at their own swearing-in ceremony, once selected, they will have an opportunity to take part in events, meetings, and all Parkland has to offer during this magical month.
To apply, simply have the student submit an application along with a 250-word essay explaining why they would like to be involved in municipal government. The application should include their community involvement, scholastic achievements, and a letter of reference.
Applications are due by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, December 10, 2018. For those who can’t make the December deadline, there is another entry period in March 11, where another student will have an opportunity. Applications are due by 4 p.m. on that day.
Mail or hand deliver completed applications to City of Parkland Attention: Gayle Vasile, Special Projects Manager at 6600 University Drive Parkland, FL 33067
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.01.14Parkland Resident Donates $20,000 To Chabad Playground Honoring Alyssa Alhadeff
- News2021.01.12Student-Led Organization ‘People of Change’ Promotes Racial Equality
- News2021.01.12Congregation Kol Tikvah Holds Virtual Comedy Night with Amazing Vacation Auctions Jan 30
- News2021.01.11State Rep Christine Hunschofsky Launches High School Internship Program