By: Matt Rothman
Coming in with only six wins this season, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas boy’s basketball team pulled off an upset and beat Coral Glades High School 65-41.
The two teams came in with opposite records, but the Eagles, who were 6-13, won their seventh game of the year behind an excellent defensive performance after losing by 17 points earlier this season against the Jaguars.
Head Coach Teddy Lyons thought his team played their most complete and aggressive game all season and played as if their season was on the line.
“Our guys played like they didn’t want to go home, and as a coach, you appreciate that,” said Lyons. “The rest of the coaches and I just want our guys to play with the type of hard nose intensity that helps you win tough games.”
Other than their opening game of allowing 30 points to South Plantation High School, the 41 points given up rank tied for second-best this season, as they also accomplished that on January 7 against Flannagan High School.
It was a total team performance as Sean Sucarichi, Joshua Ruiz, Adrian Naile, Jevaughn Morris, Paxton Kafka were all in double figures offensively. Daniel Haviv played well down low and controlled the paint both offensively and defensively.
While the wins did not come earlier this season, Lyons talked about the importance of playing well is Districts. With such a young team with many new players, the Parkland school will head into the District semifinals as underdogs against J.P. Taravella High School.
The teams will play on Tuesday, February 12, at 6 p.m. at Monarch High School. JPT had a bye in the opening round and has not played since Tuesday, February 4, against Pompano Beach.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 10U Baseball Team Hold Tryouts at Pine Trails Park