By Sharon Aron Baron
Rep. Ted Deutch Joins Over 60 Lawmakers who called for the Biden Administration to Ban Importation of Military-Style Assault Weapons into the U.S. from abroad.
He joins Boulder Rep. Joe Neguse CO-02 and Chicago Rep. Robin Kelly IL-02 and others just days after Congressman Neguse’s district experienced a devastating mass shooting at King Soopers, which killed 10 victims.
The lawmakers also renewed their previous call for the administration to appoint a gun violence prevention director.
On March 8, 2021, two-weeks before the mass shooting in his district, Congressman Neguse led a letter signed by 34 of his colleagues urging the Biden administration to appoint a national director of gun violence prevention to be charged with cutting firearms casualties in half over the next decade.
Both President George H. W. Bush and President Bill Clinton previously issued importation bans during their respective presidencies. During the 2020 presidential election campaign, President Biden pledged to use his executive authority to ban the importation of assault weapons, while an assault weapons ban could be passed into law by Congress.
“Assault weapons are the weapon of choice in mass shootings because they maximize the number of people killed,” said Congressman Ted Deutch, representing Parkland.
“It is outrageous that we allow this weapon of war in our neighborhoods. How many lives could be saved by taking these guns off our streets? We’ve waited too long. President Biden must act now to prevent the flow of weapons of war into our country.”Ted Deutch Final Letter - Assault Weapon Import Ban EO Letter
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.09.16911 Dispatcher Recognized After Saving Life of Parkland Woman
- News2021.09.15Selection Committee Chooses Developer for Former Heron Bay Golf Course
- News2021.09.14Broward County Schools Participates in ‘Dads Take Your Child to School Day’
- News2021.09.11Marjory Stoneman Douglas JROTC Hold 20th Commemoration Ceremony for 9/11