By: Sharon Aron Baron
Rising Tide Car Wash, a Parkland business whose primary mission is to employ adults with autism, has been named the winner of the 2017 Daniel Jordan Fiddle Foundation Leader in Adult Autism Award.
On July 12, Thomas D’Eri, COO of Rising Tide, was presented with the award at the Autism Society of America’s national conference in Milwaukee.
“We are honored to receive the Daniel Jordan Fiddle Foundation Leader in Adult Autism Award,” said John D’Eri, CEO of Rising Tide. “Autism is a valuable diversity. In general, for any role that can be made consistent, concrete and visual, from software testing to car washing, there is a subset of people with autism that can outperform typical individuals.”
Launched in 2016, the award recognizes individuals, organizations, service providers, employers and professionals who exemplify the attributes of determination and vision that inspire people to realize and embrace that adults diagnosed with autism have diverse strengths and capabilities. It also honors those who appreciate that society is enhanced by their talents and contributions.
Since it opened in Parkland in 2013, Rising Tide, has given young adults with autism opportunities to realize their capabilities, gain confidence, make friends, gain financial independence, and have a place to call their own. With approximately 35 employees (80 percent of whom are individuals with autism), Rising Tide is one of the largest employers of people with autism in the U.S. Since its inception, Rising Tide has created 75 jobs in the South Florida area.
Founded in 2002, The Daniel Jordan Fiddle Foundation is the first not-for-profit and only all-volunteer-run organization in the U.S. to focus on adult autism. Its model programs, resources, public policy and awareness initiatives are person-centered and derive from the needs and hopes of the diverse population of adults diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and their families.
Due to its success, Rising Tide is opening a second location at 2970 N. State Rd 7 in Margate, Florida in late summer 2017. This location is being built as a custom car wash from the ground up. The Margate location will be 1½ times larger than the first, and is estimated to create about 50 new jobs in the community.
Rising Tide Car Wash is located at 7201 N. State Rd 7, Parkland, FL 33067. It is open seven days a week from 8 a.m.–7 p.m.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2020.04.02Parkland Experiences Increase of COVID-19 Cases on April 2 City by City Report
- News2020.04.02Cruise Ships Given Permission to Dock at Port Everglades Thursday Afternoon
- News2020.04.01Parkland COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise in Florida Department of Health April 1 Report
- News2020.04.01Marjory Stoneman Douglas Teachers Share Inspiring Messages for Students in New Video