By Jill Fox
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Austin Foote was inspired by a survivor to help in a classroom emergency after the mass shooting in 2018.
Foote was a freshman when his friend, Madeleine Wilford, was shot three times. After hearing that a makeshift tourniquet may have contributed to saving her life, Foote knew he wanted to focus on something similar to directly benefit students like Madeleine.
Now a senior, Foote, a Parkland Reserve resident, is one of four siblings currently attending MSD. His service project began with tourniquets, though once the pandemic began, he expanded it to include more in each medic bag.
Designed to be placed in each classroom, Foote focused his efforts on a school that hadn’t received as much attention as those in Parkland.
When he called Loggers’ Run Community Middle School in Boca Raton, the staff was immediately receptive.
“I emailed the assistant principal, and she was very positive, which made it easy to get the project in motion,” said Foote, whose goal is to purchase 67 medic bags to be used in case of emergency.
Each bag contains a first aid kit, a tourniquet, a box of disposable face masks, and gloves.
Foote hopes after the completion of his project, he can help alleviate the damage from serious injuries in potential school emergencies, along with keeping teachers and students safe and healthy during the Covid-19 pandemic.
To reach his $3,650 goal and complete the project by March, Foote started a GoFundMe, which has raised $2,000.
Send your news to Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.06.13Mah Jongg Players Meet For 2 Summer Gatherings At Family Bagels
- News2021.06.09Friendship Journey Scholarships Awarded In Memory of Jaime Guttenberg And Gina Montalto
- News2021.06.08Parkland Mourns Respected Father, Husband and Coach, Drew Evan Wiener
- News2021.06.08Any Fin Is Possible At Parkland’s Summer Youth Fishing Derby