By Claire Nana
Crossing guards put their lives on the line every day. In honor of School Crossing Guard Appreciation Day, the first Friday in February, Vice Mayor Bob Mayersohn asks residents to nominate their favorite crossing guard.
“When it comes to providing safe pathways to our school, crossing guards help students safely navigate the transition,” said Mayersohn.
Always striving to give back to the community, Mayersohn was recognized for his work to improve the lives of Parkland residents and was named a “Home Rule Hero” by the Florida League of Cities in 2020 and 2021. He has also earned a prestigious 2-1-1 Excellence Award from 211 Broward for his leadership during a time of crisis.
For parents, crossing guards add a sense of comfort. “The crossing guards not only connect with children but the parents too,” he said.
Residents who would like to nominate their favorite school crossing guard must complete the nomination form before the window closes December 31, at 11:59 p.m. crossinguard.fdot.gov.
Mayersohn added, “Rain or shine, hot or cold weather, these dedicated individuals protect our children’s safety to and from school and deserve to be recognized.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Claire Nana, LMFT, has written over thirty continuing education courses on nutrition and Mental Health, Post-Traumatic Growth, Motivation, Stigma. Claire has written articles for Trail Runner, Her Sports, and Horse Network is the author of Leverage: The Science of Turning Setbacks into Springboards.
- NewsNovember 2, 2021Popular Parkland Farmers’ Market Returns
- NewsOctober 29, 2021Holiday Wishes For Children With Cancer Are Granted by Marjory Stoneman Douglas Students
- NewsOctober 24, 2021Equine-Assisted Therapy of South Florida Helps Empower Those with Special Needs
- NewsOctober 22, 2021Supporters Hold 5K Run4Beigel For Marjory Stoneman Teacher in New York