By Jill Fox
In addition to starting sixth grade at North Broward Preparatory School on Wednesday, Sienna Lopez, 11, is busy launching her new business.
Lopez, who lives in Parkland’s MiraLago community, said she thought it would be fun to come up with a business because she was, well, a little bored at home. First, she had an idea to sell books, walk dogs, or babysit — but needed something contactless during COVID-19.
Her mother, Kate Lopez, said she’s been ready to be busy.
“She was so bored the first few months of the pandemic,” she said.
Using a family recipe, Sienna decided to sell chocolate chip cookies.
“We usually give them away for Christmas, and everyone loves them,” said Sienna.
Dropping off sweet treats to neighbors made sense, and getting the word out was easy. With help from her mom, Sienna posted a video on the MiraLago Facebook page promoting her new business.
Within minutes, orders poured in from neighbors, one even asking for gluten-free options.
An avid baker at just 11-years-old, Sienna has been in the kitchen forever. According to her mother, she has loved cooking shows since kindergarten.
Sienna’s grandparents have called her Chi Chi since she was a baby, so her company’s name came easily — Chi Chi’s Cookies.
For now, Chi Chi’s Cookies only come in chocolate chip, but she has plans to include oatmeal, one of her grandmother’s recipes.
She said her earnings would go towards supplies, like packaging, labels, and stickers, but she eventually hopes to give some to charity.
Chi Chi’s Cookies are available with contactless delivery for $2 for four cookies. Those interested in purchasing a batch can email Sienna.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Celebrate Hanukkah with Mah Jongg, Latkes, and Vodka for a Good Cause
- NewsNovember 13, 2023Annual Pink Challah Bake and Mah Jongg Night to Benefit Jewish Women’s Health
- NewsJanuary 21, 2023Early Childhood Center Celebrates 20 Years in Parkland
- NewsJanuary 20, 2023Parkland Wiffle Ball Tournament Raises Money for Pediatric Cancer