By Sharon Aron Baron
In memory of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School tragedy, Broward County Public Schools will observe a Day of Service and Love on February 14, 2023.
On this early release day, students, staff, and volunteers across the district will participate in various volunteer and service projects in honor of the 17 students and staff members who lost their lives and those who were injured.
“As we mark the fifth year since this tragic day, we hope that the Day of Service and Love provides our students and staff with meaningful ways to give back to their communities and schools while we remember and honor the victims,” said Dr. Valerie S. Wanza, BCPS Task Assigned Superintendent. “Our hearts remain with the families whose loved ones were taken and those injured, and the entire Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School community. We will never forget.”
The day of service will focus on building positive relationships and expressing kindness while raising awareness about important and meaningful causes. At 10:17 a.m., BCPS will observe a moment of reflection in honor of the victims.
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School campus will not be open to the media, and news helicopters or drones are asked to refrain from flying over or near the high school.
According to a statement from the district, the day should be referred to as a “commemoration” and not an “anniversary.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Margate Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2023.03.19South Florida’s Rising Stars Shine Bright at 19th Annual ‘Future Stars’ Youth Performing Arts Competition
- News2023.03.19Unite to End Cancer: Hollywood-Themed Relay For Life Event Held in Parkland
- News2023.03.10Parkland Celebrates 60th Anniversary with a Parade and Concert by Sugar Ray
- News2023.03.09Congregation Kol Tikvah of Parkland Welcomes New Executive Director