By Jill Fox
Attention coffee lovers: The Central Perk of Parkland is expanding again.
The popular destination is making more room for its customers with a 450 square foot outdoor patio.
Located in Parkland Commons Shopping Center at the corner of University Drive and Trails End, Carmela Coffee opened its doors in January 2018. Shortly after, they expanded into a second bay of the plaza.
“It’s good to see a business not only succeeding here but thriving and growing and expanding,” said Commissioner Simeon Brier.
The site plan amendment was discussed at the June 16 City Commission meeting because there were concerns across different departments regarding traffic, safety visibility, and landscape removal. Ultimately, the expansion was approved.
According to Owner Rainier Abreu, the reason for the addition is threefold: first, it will allow for more seating – 20 outdoor seats instead of the current eight. Secondly, the terrace will also alleviate congestion in front of the store, and third, the expansion will make it more accessible for wheelchairs.
Abreu also said they plan to begin construction as soon as possible, and the process should be fairly quick.
Carmela Coffee presently has five locations in Parkland, Pompano Beach, Delray Beach, and Boca Raton. Their first franchise will open in a few weeks in East Delray, and they are negotiating more in South Florida.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Celebrate Hanukkah with Mah Jongg, Latkes, and Vodka for a Good Cause
- NewsNovember 13, 2023Annual Pink Challah Bake and Mah Jongg Night to Benefit Jewish Women’s Health
- NewsJanuary 21, 2023Early Childhood Center Celebrates 20 Years in Parkland
- NewsJanuary 20, 2023Parkland Wiffle Ball Tournament Raises Money for Pediatric Cancer