By Jill Fox
For those interested in a date night, or just a good reason to laugh, Carmela Coffee Company wants to provide it for the residents of Parkland.
Back by popular demand, a second evening of comedy is taking place on Saturday, January 19.
“The comedy show is one of the things that we would like to do recurrently,” said owner, Rainier Abreu.
Hosted by Lalo Rodriguez, the evening will be headlined by Wellington comedians, Nadeem Awad, Brian Coronado, and will feature Jay Guy. A number of special guests will also complete the line-up.
MiraLago resident and frequent Carmela Coffee patron, Marla Emanuel enjoyed the first comedy night tremendously.
“To me, it was almost therapeutic,” said Emanuel about the event in December. “Carmela has a totally different vibe at night.”
Situated in the corner of the Parkland Commons plaza, Carmela, as it’s known to local coffee addicts, has quickly become a Parkland staple for group lunches, business meetings and a casual cup of joe. But with beer on tap, wine, tapas, and even a bruschetta bar, evenings are gaining in popularity.
After completing their recent expansion on the cusp of their one-year anniversary, co-owners and residents Abreu and Rafael Baretta, have decided to experiment with different types of entertainment to see what appeals to their local evening audiences. Fortunately, the extra space allows for these kinds of different opportunities.
So far, SHINE MSD held an open mic night for students to sing and play music, complete with piano, guitar, poetry and rap. They have also hosted jazz and karaoke nights, and plan to have more live music.
According to Abreu, locals will see more and more events like these.
“We’ve always wanted to be a part of the community. Whether it’s art, music, poetry, whatever it is. We want to open our doors and provide an opportunity for the people around us to express themselves,” said Abreu, who likes the way that Carmela is bringing a bit of a hipster character to Parkland.
Abreu hopes that everybody enjoys the comedy night. He knows they might not like the same jokes, but in general, he thinks everyone will have a good time. There is no drink minimum or cover charge, he just wants to open the doors for people to have a fun night.
Comedy night will take place Saturday, January 19 at 8 p.m. at Carmela Coffee Company at 7967 N. University Drive. The event is free and open to the public.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- Politics2020.09.24Parkland Commission Votes to Lower Millage Rate For 2021
- News2020.09.24Parkland Teen is Finalist in Nation’s Premier STEM Competition
- News2020.09.24Mayor Votes No on Budget After $1 Million For Pine Tree Estates Is Removed
- News2020.09.22Parkland Cares Awards $125,000 in Grants to Local Mental Health Organizations