By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball has become one of the top programs in the state of Florida. After winning a National Championship less than five years ago, the Eagles continued their success into the start of this season.
After getting off to a 6-2 start, their season came to an end with COVID 19. The Eagles had 11 seniors on their team who didn’t have the opportunity to finish what they started. However, these players have all impacted the program, with some of them moving on to play collegiate baseball.
Highlighting the class of 2020 is shortstop Coby Mayo, set to play for the University of Florida this season. He has the potential to be selected in the MLB draft out of high school despite it being only five rounds. In his career with MSD, Mayo hit .387 in four years, hit 13 home runs, drove in 48 RBI’s, and scored 62 runs.
Colin Flynn caught and played outfield and had four of his five home runs last season. He will be playing at the University of Central Florida.
Carter Brady is the lone Eagle signed next season and will be planning on playing for Charleston Southern University. Brady played all over the outfield playing excellent defense and was stealing 8-12 bases in his three years with the team.
Even with MSD losing quality arms from 2019, they had four seniors who stepped up this year in Luis Fuentes, Fernando Rodriguez, Colby Collins, and Juan Toledo. Despite Fuentes not appearing in a game in 2020, he had a win last year out of the bullpen.
Offensively, Jhan Ledezma, Tyler Mox, Javion Serrano and, Vinny Gallo contributed to a potent offense.
Despite losing many players, MSD has shown it can develop quickly and has the potential for another big season in 2021.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Storms Back Late to Advance to Regional Final
- News2021.05.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys and Girls Golf Win Broward County Championship
- News2021.05.09Marjory Stoneman Douglas Track and Field Team Shines at States
- News2021.05.08Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Combines For No-Hitter in Regionals