By Jill Fox
Three Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School seniors were the recipients of college scholarships from a Michigan-based financial services broker that shares the same name as the city.
The Parkland Scholarship Fund, established by employees of Parkland Securities, LLC of Ann Arbor, was created for students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, after the massacre on February 14, 2018.
According to the organization, “We share a name – Parkland, and we share a concern for the well-being of students across the country, particularly those affected in Parkland, Florida.”
This year’s recipients were Joshua Rosenthal, Alexander Rodriguez, and Shannon McEachern.
In its third year, the Parkland Scholarship Fund Awards Committee raises money through various events and selects winners based on their applications, qualifications, and essays.
The scholarships are geared toward seniors who will attend either a trade or vocational school or an out-of-Florida accredited college or university. Therefore, they are unable to take advantage of Florida’s Bright Futures program.
Rosenthal, who received a $1,500 scholarship, will attend the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin.
Rodriguez received a $1,000 scholarship and will attend the Coral Springs Regional Institute of Public Safety to become a firefighter/paramedic.
McEachern, who received a $500 scholarship, will attend the University of Georgia in the fall.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.09.27Our Interview with the Four Candidates for City Commission District 1
- News2020.09.253 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Students Create Masks with a Meaning
- News2020.09.25BSO Units Arrest 4 Suspects after Parkland Car Burglary
- News2020.09.25Parkland Farmers’ Market Returns November 1 with ‘Drive Thru’ Format