By: Matt Rothman
Chicago lost a pair of running backs in David Montgomery and Tarik Cohen. On the COVID-19 list is Damien Williams, who split carries with Herbert in the Bears 20-9 win over the Las Vegas Raiders.
Herbert has played in a pair of games this year and ran the ball three times for seven yards against the Detroit Lions on October 3 before receiving 17 carries a week later for 75 yards.
Despite his limited time, Herbert has caught the attention of Head Coach Matt Nagy.
“I think he’s somebody that, again, you talk about the word trust, he hasn’t made many mistakes as a rookie,” said Coach Nagy. “He’s very, very smooth. When he gets the football, you can see the burst that he has.”
A sixth-round draft pick, Herbert had his breakout season with MSD when he ran for nearly 1,000 yards, scored 15 rushing touchdowns, and added another 264 yards through the air before playing for Kansas and Virginia Tech.
For Herbert now, his attitude is pretty simple.
“Just show them that I’m able to do whatever they need me to do,” Herbert said. “Whatever you need me to do, I’m going to try to do it to the best of my ability. That’s really what I’m just trying to show.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 29, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Season Ends in State Semifinals
- NewsFebruary 28, 20245 Parkland Travel Soccer Teams Win Championship
- NewsFebruary 25, 20242 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestlers Advance to State Championship
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Seals No-Hitter Win in Home-Opener