By Jill Fox
The Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation helps students with the cost of post-secondary education as well as makes charitable donations to causes she supported before her life was taken on February 14, 2018.
On what would have been Gina’s seventeenth birthday, April 22, her parents Tony and Jennifer Montalto started a new program challenging the public to help raise $17,000.
This “17 for Gina’s 17th Birthday” fund will be used to award 17 individual $1000 scholarships for nursing students to help expand the ranks of those working so hard to get the nation through this difficult time.
Tony said he knew Gina would have tried to find some way to help during this crisis.
“We think the best way to do that is with nurses and helping them with their education,” he said.
At just under $10,000 on Thursday, the Foundation said they would release the Nursing scholarship application shortly after they reach their $17,000 goal.
“It’s really incredible how much it raised in 24 hours,” said Jennifer.
In addition to the new scholarships, there are three others currently available to high school students.
Arts and STEM Scholarships
Two scholarships for $5,000 each will be given to deserving students. One for pursuing studies in the Arts and one working toward a degree in a STEM – science, technology, engineering, or math field.
Students must have a cumulative 3.8 GPA and attend a Broward County public school, Hialeah-Miami Lakes Senior High School, or Pelham Memorial High School in New York. Since Tony is a United Airlines Captain, the scholarship programs are also open for children of employees. Applications are due May 15, 2020.
Girl Scout Gold Award Scholarship
Another scholarship called the Girl Scout Gold Award Scholarship, will award $1,500 towards their post-secondary education. As a Cadette Girl Scout, Gina earned the Girl Scout Silver Award with her Troop and was enormously proud of this accomplishment.
The Foundation will be awarding this to one high school senior who has achieved a Gold Award through the Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida. This is open to a Broward County Public Schools student, child of a United Airlines employee, or ALPA Union Member. Applications are due June 15, 2020.
Tony and Jennifer hope their daughter’s legacy will live on through the accomplishments of other deserving young men and women.
Keep sending your news to Parkland Talk
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.11.2711-Year-Old Gains National Attention After Annual Parkland Turkey Bowl
- News2020.11.27Greater Broward Pap Corps Holds Shopping Event At Jeaneration
- News2020.11.27BSO Protects Parkland Residents from Porch Pirates Over the Holidays
- News2020.11.26Parkland Holds Holiday Decorating Contest For Residents