By Jill Fox
Make Our Schools Safe held their third annual Tennis Round Robin and Shopping Boutique on Friday, raising over $50,000 for school safety.
Held at Quigley Park in Parkland, over 70 people came out in support of the organization founded by Lori and Ilan Alhadeff in honor of their daughter Alyssa, one of 17 people killed during the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
Lori said, “Everyone had fun, enjoyed some great tennis, shopped at our wonderful vendor booths, and bought tickets for our awesome raffle baskets, all in support of this great organization.”
Despite COVID-19, she was optimistic about this year since tennis is one of the lowest risk types of activities, and they were able to take all of the necessary safety precautions.
The daytime events included boxed lunches, virtual raffles, outdoor shopping, and everyone wore masks.
In between tennis sets was a bench dedication by a tree planted to honor the 17 victims of the MSD shooting.
“I know we can’t bring back the 17, but I will forever love them and honor them,” said Lori. “I love you, Alyssa.”
Mayor Rich Walker spoke about Make Our Schools Safe’s tremendous impact and how its supporters are helping keep Alyssa’s memory alive.
“I look forward to seeing what else Lori will do for our community, our children, and our future,” he said.
During the evening children’s tournament, attendees were treated to a special performance of Shine by Andrea Peña, who co-wrote the piano ballad with fellow MSD drama student Sawyer Garrity after the tragedy.
Lori said they hit their goal of $50,000, and it was a glorious night.
Next year’s event will be held on December 3, 2021. Donate to Make Our Schools Safe here.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Celebrate Hanukkah with Mah Jongg, Latkes, and Vodka for a Good Cause
- NewsNovember 13, 2023Annual Pink Challah Bake and Mah Jongg Night to Benefit Jewish Women’s Health
- NewsJanuary 21, 2023Early Childhood Center Celebrates 20 Years in Parkland
- NewsJanuary 20, 2023Parkland Wiffle Ball Tournament Raises Money for Pediatric Cancer