By: Matt Rothman
The reigning state and National Champions are back, and not only did Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball pick up their first win on Tuesday, they also have a new sponsorship with the Miami Marlins for their “Field for Dreams” fundraiser.
After receiving a $150,000 donation from former Eagle Anthony Rizzo for lights, upgrading the infield, locker room, and press box, the plan is to install turf around the apron of the infield, add more seating in the right field and enclose the batting cages.
On the diamond, the Eagles fell in their opener to J.P. Taravella but responded with a 3-0 victory over Cardinal Gibbons High School and a 9-0 win against St. John Paul Academy II on Friday to improve their record to 2-1.
“It’s tough this year because we got a target on our back, and we are always going to get the opposition’s best,” said Todd Fitz-Gerald. “I didn’t think we responded great in our last game, but we got great pitching to lead us to a win.”
After Christian Rodriguez started on against the Trojans, Jake Clemente picked up the win against Cardinal Gibbons, pitching five innings, allowing no runs, with seven strikeouts. Jayden Dubanewizx recorded the final six outs to pick up the save.
Offensively, the Eagles took a 2-0 lead in the first on a two-run single from Camron Harris. Then in the fourth, MSD added a run in the fourth on a steal of home from Harris.
The Eagles had a better performance on Friday, with Chris Arroyo taking the hill. The senior started a combined no-hitter before turning it over to White and Eduardo Fuentes. Roman Anthony and Clemente combined to drive in five runs while Nikko Benestad, Harris, Dillon Moquin, and Alex Lazar recorded RBIs.
Next, the Eagles will play two more road games next week against St. Thomas Aquinas High School and Charles W. Flanagan before having their home opener on Tuesday, March 8, against Barron Collier High School in Naples.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins Regionals Championship Behind Clemente’s 3 Run Homer
- News2022.05.172 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Players Make Their Commitment Official
- News2022.05.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ Kyanne Meredith Ties Personal Best in State Championships
- News2022.05.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Records Wild Regional Win in District Championship Rematch