By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas continues the winter sports season with three teams in action before the postseason.
The hockey team recently held Senior Night and picked up a 5-0 win on January 19 over Cypress Bay High School. The Eagles honored Artem Velmakin, Ethan Pakhomov, Nathan Shelowitz, Luke Colton, Braeden Kravitz, Zohaib Ashrafali and Ethan Blansky before losing on Sunday 8-2 against North Broward Prep.
The girls basketball team fell against Olympic Heights High School on Monday to move to 6-10 this year. They previously beat Monarch, Hallandale, Coral Glades, Fort Lauderdale, and Cooper City High School this year. They are scheduled to host Senior Night on Monday, January 29, against Pompano Beach High School. The Golden Tornadoes are 3-10 this year and have wins over Monarch, Miramar, and Coral Glades.
The boys basketball team fell against Blanche Ely High School and is now 7-12 this year. The Eagles have lost four straight and six of their last seven games in a year they started 4-2.
MSD will also host Senior Night on Monday, January 29, against Pompano Beach High School. The Eagles will close the regular season with a matchup against J.P. Taravella on January 31 at 7:30 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 25, 20242 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestlers Advance to State Championship
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Seals No-Hitter Win in Home-Opener
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Begins Season With Win Under New Coach
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Marks Historic Day with 6 Athletes Signing College Commitments