By: Matt Rothman
In his fourth season as the head coach of MSD, Short led the Eagles to the Regional Semifinals. The Eagles went 7-3 in the regular season despite starting the year out 1-3. During MSD’s six-game winning streak to end the regular season, the Eagles outscored their opponents 254-40 with wins over Coral Springs High School, Jupiter, Boyd Anderson, South Broward, Olympic Heights, and Coral Glades.
MSD then won their seventh straight game in the opening round of the playoffs 48-44 against Santaluces High School. This was the team’s first postseason win since 2007 before eventually falling to Regional Champion Palm Beach Central High School.
Offensively, MSD was led by their rushing attack. The Eagles’ top two rushers, Clayton Cannon Jr. and Justin Spano, combined for 2,557 of the team’s 3,023 rushing yards. MSD also added nearly 1,900 passing yards and scored 55 offensive touchdowns. Defensively, the Eagles had 40 sacks, 15 fumble recovers, and six interceptions. They also had over 3,000 yards on special teams.
“It is a tremendous honor to be named FCA Bobby Bowden coach of the year, Short said. “It’s a testament to our coaching staff, players, and our entire program. Big thanks to Broward FCA and Mark Poznak, our FCA representative who led our weekly team Huddles. He poured into our group of young men.”
Short was rewarded earlier this year with a chance to coach in the Miami Dade-Broward All-Star Game and will also serve as the offensive line coach during the Palm-Beach Vs. Broward All-Star Game. Short holds a record of 24-12 as coach of the Eagles, and while he will have several seniors graduate this year, he will still return multiple starters on both offense and defense.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.02.07Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Advances to Regional Semifinals
- News2023.02.07Parkland Pokers’ Evan Stramanak Wins Perfect Game ‘Player of the Year’
- News2023.02.06Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Team Wins 1st Playoff Game
- News2023.02.04Marjory Stoneman Douglas Cheerleading Team Finishes 3rd in State Championship